Friday, December 19, 2008

Convictions ? ?

This entry was stirred by a blog of Sis. Allard. Yes, it caused Mervi to stop, look and listen to that small voice and then write.
What does the term CONVICTION mean to you?
How does the term CONVICTION fit into your daily life?
Does this term have an effect on you?
When is the last time, we as Pentecostals, last heard not a preached message but a Bible study on the subject of CONVICTION?

Listed below are the definitions from Marian Webster on line:
1: the act or process of convicting of a crime especially in a court of law
2 a: the act of convincing a person of error or of compelling the admission of a truth
b: the state of being convinced of error or compelled to admit the truth
3 a: a strong persuasion or belief
b: the state of being convinced
Synonyms see certainty, opinion

I believe it that great New Testament theologian Paul who said, knowing that I am set in defense of the Gospel (Phil 1:17). Paul was set, he was ready to do battle over something and that something was the Gospel. Now, the question is asked of us, those who inhabit this time frame and this generation. Are we set, ready to do battle for this Gospel? Did Paul have, “a strong persuasion or belief?” How strong is OUR persuasion of this Oneness not one less gospel? How does our belief in the teaching of Jesus Name water Baptism stand? Are we set to defend these ago old points? Not just in the mistiest of those of like faith do we hold and proclaim this truth. Are we ready to give an account for this faith which we hold so dear? Not to be aggressive, not to be domineering but to stand ready to present and defend our CONVICTIONS when the need arises?
Once more form Paul in the book of Romans Chapter 14 verse 5, “Let ever man be fully persuaded in his own mind.” That STRONG persuasion that this is right or that is wrong! Those good old fashion holiness conviction? This is right, that is wrong, I will condone this, I will not condone that. Why? Because I have been fully persuaded in MY mind, heart and spirit this is where I stand and I have no PLAN to be moved easily!!
What is your opinion about this or maybe that? Are you convinced whatever is right or wrong? Does it require a vote of the majority to establish a conviction? I think there are far too many people waiting to see how, what and where the majority does and goes. Then they will show an opinion! This, in my never to be humble opinion, is not a convection nor an opinion! But let us all go together and be friends.
Yes, many of my convections were formed under the ministry of I. H. Terry and others under whom I sat. Those men who had something to say and said it with both deep and earnest convection, love, desire to help others and certainty this is what influenced my life and ideas. I do the best I can to hold these truths scarred.

Remember that old saying, If you don't believe in something, you'll fall for anything;
Mervi

No comments: