Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Just an odd thught.

From a book entitled, "Finding God in Unexpected places," by Philip Yancey.

"Historian and art critic Robert Hughes tells of a convect sentenced to life imprisonment on a maximum security island of the coast of Australia. One day with on provocation, he turned on a fellow prisoner he barely knew and beat him senseless. The murder was shipped back to the main land to stand trail, where he gave a straightforward , passionless account of the crime, showing no sign of remorse. "Why?" ask the bewildered judge. "What was your motive?"

The prisoner replied that he was sick of life on the island, a notoriously brutal place, and that he saw no reason to keep on living. "Yes, yes, I understand that," said the judge, "I can see why you might drown yourself in the ocean. But why murder?"

"Well its like this," said the prisoner. "I'm Catholic. If I commit suicide I'll go straight to Hell. But if I murder, I can come back here confess to a priest before my execution. That way, God will forgive me."

Just something to sit and ponder today;
Mervi

4 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Just a thought said...

If I can not read it I will kill it.


Mervi

Karen J. Hopper said...

Very interesting but not sure that the man's confession to the priest will save him either.