Thursday, January 3, 2008

Prejudice


Prejudice


Two years ago I was taking a class in Cultural Anthropology. The instructor offered some extra credit points for all who would invest a Sunday in a trip to the Museum of Tolerance in Los Angles. As all college students know, get all the extra credit you can, any way you can, so I made the trip.

This was a trip that had a great effect upon me, not on me only but all who made this trip. As I started the tour, I was given a large, about six inches from point to point, five pointed gold star to ware around my neck. On the back of this star is the name of a German, Jewish child. My first stop was a computer station where I passed the back of the star over a scanner and the computer generated a brief description of the child, mother and father’s names, brothers’ and sisters, when and where they were born and where they lasted lived. All around this room there was a collage of youthful faces. These faces seemed to be seeing me off and wishing me well as I embarked upon my journey. This became my identity for the next few hours as I returned to pre World War Two Germany.

As I stood there that morning, writing like mad, in my journal I had just for this trip I questioned. How many innocent children have been killed or forever damaged in the name of prejudice? I understand that these little once are very resilient both in spirit and body. Yet, the unmentionable cruelty and depredation their little eyes have been witness to? Not just as a witness but so many times this cruelty, hatred and anger is / was depicted upon their little bodies. Not just that, but the great question to me is the WHY? Why or HOW can we as adults be so very deeply cruel to a child? I know the answers to the fall of man and the affects of sin within the mind and spirit of man. Then to add to this some form of drugs and involve the ego we have just created a very lethal mixture.
Take the time to do some reading and a little study on the results of wars in days gone by. Yes, men were slain in combat, but the brunt of the loss was born by women and the children, the ones who had the least of all any ability to defend or protect themselves. Read about the wars in Africa and you will see some of this still the rule not the exception. Read about young, not yet teenagers, who are forced into being combat soldiers. HOW / WHY


I will stop for now.

Now it is your turn to comment.

I will add more about my trip through history a little later.


Mervi

5 comments:

Jana Allard said...

The sad fact is that there is still much prejudice and racism today. It shames humanity.

Catherine Roseberry-Meyer said...

I lived in post WWII Europe and understand first hand what you are talking about. It is mind boggling how anyone can live with such action. But as you point out, the depravity of man is due to the fall of man, now on a downhill course - full speed ahead. It makes me just the more want to let the love of God flow freely during my short time down here.
It seems that the common denominator between people like Hitler or the last child abuser is obviously psychological, and as you say today, magnified by drugs. We say, something is wrong with him(her), right?

Catherine

Just a thought said...

Jana:
I agree the so many times how we look at others even before we take or invest the time to know them is so very sad.

Thanxs for your comment;

mec

Just a thought said...

Oh Cathernie:

How I would love to sit and listen to your story. Both sets of my Grand-Parents fled Germany just as Hitler was coming to power. They feared him. I would hope you have either recorded to written your story for those who come behind us.

Thanks for writing;

mec

Unknown said...

I really want to get to LA and visit that museum.

thanks for the post.