Monday, February 11, 2008

At prey in the field of the Lord


Here is an interesting one.
I found this article this morning and desided to publish it.

At Prey in the Fields of the Lord
Robert Riggio has made a career out of conning priests and parishes by phone. If he calls you, hang up.

I, as one trying to be Christ like, do try to help those in need. Many years ago I stopped giving cash, need food follow me to the story. Need gas for your car, follow me to the station. Need your utilities paid, bring me the statement. You could not believe the times I have been cursed out because I would not give someone money, all I asked if they wanted money for food. “Follow me into the restaurant and I will feed you.” NO! They want the cash and will curse me instead.
Sorry, I want to see where my hard earned cash goes!!
Just my way of doing it.
Mervi

2 comments:

Karen J. Hopper said...

Mervi, I am in total agreement with you. We do not turn away anyone who asks for help, but we do offer to supply their requests by taking them to the restaurant, gas station, etc. Unfortunately, 99.9 percent of the time it ends up in us being cursed and told what second-class citizens we are.

Catherine Roseberry-Meyer said...

That has been my practice also - meet the need, but no money. In the summer time I give bottled water. One of the homeless men turned me down after taking the water for some time. After that, he wouldn't give me the time of day! Go figure! But next to him, was always a man selling flowers. Once in a while I'd get some (if the light was red). He ended up getting bottled water on top of it - why? He was trying to make a buck, the other one was upset because I wasn't giving him money!