Monday, June 30, 2008

One Hundred years ago today.

At 7:17am on 30 June 1908, an immense explosion tore through the forest of central Siberia.

One hundred years ago today, was the closest our world has come to ending. But, this was not the way it is to close.

"The sky split in two and fire appeared high and wide over the forest. The split in the sky grew larger, and the entire northern side was covered with fire," one local remembered.
"At that moment I became so hot that I couldn't bear it, as if my shirt was on fire… I wanted to tear off my shirt and throw it down, but then the sky slammed shut. A strong thump sounded, and I was thrown a few yards."

The asteroid that hit in Siberia was one more blast.

“The blast was 1,000 times more powerful than the atomic bombs dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki and generated a shock wave that knocked people to the ground 60km from the epicenter.”

We are not alone! Are there others like us somewhere in the galactic expanse? I have not idea. But there is a lot of relative small pieces of, whatever, moving around out there. What would be the magnitude should a part of this space gravel, or whatever, hit L.A. Denver, Hong cong or some other metro area?

Just something else to think about:
Mervi

ps;
Here is the link to the BBC where I lifted my quotes;
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/7470283.stm

No comments: