Sunday, March 1, 2009

Grade Welfare ?

Here I sit, in the comfit of my recliner, enjoying a quite Sunday nap which was caused by reading the Sunday Fresno Bee. In this fog I stumbled upon this article and came wide awake and a little agitated. WHAT, you are trying to inform me that a portion of my fellow students, as I attended college really believe this?

“Consider a recent article in The New York Times about what many college students expect from the grading process. According to the professors, students and researchers who were interviewed, a major expectation on campuses these days is that those who try hard and attend all their classes -- regardless of how well they perform -- deserve high marks.”

If these young people feel this way now, what will be their “educated” want in the everyday work place?

“An English professor at the University of Maryland who was quoted in the article said he tells his classes that anyone who does just the bare minimum to meet course requirements will earn a C. Yet many students think an A would be a more appropriate default grade.
The article quotes a senior at the University of Maryland who wonders: ‘What else is there really than the effort that you put in? If you put in all the effort you have and get a C, what is the point? ... If your maximum effort can only be average in a teacher's mind, then something is wrong.’
Oh, something is wrong all right.”


I had an English class where the subject for a research paper was, “Grade welfare.” Later, and in a somewhat privet setting, this instructor informed me that I had one of three paper which agreed with her opinion on the subject. YES, there is grade welfare!
I will stop here. I can feel my blood pressure behind my eyes. Here is a link to the complete article, for your reading pleasure.

http://www.fresnobee.com/opinion/wo/story/1230650.html

Just a thought as I pass this way;
Mervi

No comments: