Thursday, May 14, 2009

"Race Talk"

"What to call black people has to be confusing to white people. Having been around for 73 years, I have been through a number of names. Among the polite ones are: colored, Negro, Afro-American, black, and now African-American. Among those names, African-American is probably the most unintelligent. You say, "What do you mean, Williams?" Suppose I told you that I had a European-American friend or a South-America-American friend, or a North-America-American friend. You'd probably say, "Williams, that's stupid. Europe, South America and North America are continents consisting of many peoples." You might insist that I call my friend from Germany a German-American instead of European-American and my friend from Brazil a Brazilian-American rather than a South-America-American and my friend from Canada a Canadian-American instead of a North-American."

This is part of the opening article by Mr. Walter Williams. Here is the link to the entire article; http://townhall.com/columnists/WalterEWilliams/2009/05/13/race_talk

Just caught my interest this morinig;
Mervi

No comments: