Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Jonah (The end)

This grisly old prophet hears a voice, I wonder how loud it was, and followed its instructions. He moves out of the cave on to the path he had used to get there. A great wind came along the mountain top, with howling and whistling, and boom, boom as those big rocks rolled down the mountain. God was not in the wind. As the wind subsided the mountain began to shack and tremble. God was not there either. As the mountain seemed to become stable once more, out of nowhere came this hugh fire with wind whistling, popping and cracking as it burn its way across the mountain. Once more God was not there. Back to Jonah, the reason he was having such a good nap is, he knew that God was not in the wind nor the waves, nor the rain so he did need to worry about hearing the same thing that cause the old prophet to cover his face! That still small voice.

I am going to ascend my worn soap box!

Do we have some churches (warehouses) for those who do not want to hear that still small voice? Is the amount of VOLUM used to thwart one from hearing that still small voice? Remember my friends Pentecost is known for its noise! Yes, you are correct. But being a little older I also can remember those services when you were afraid to move all you could was weep and cry as that voice spoke to you. SORRY, I have not been nor hear of to many of those kinds of services of late. And by the way, I can remember many of those old time services with nothing but a piano, a flat top guitar, an accordion or two and the stand up bull fiddle. Man did they shout! Oh no I do not want to go back to those days, I like the newfangled A.C. units in our services.

I shall decent from my soap box.

Please don’t say, “He does not like amplified instruments!” I do like them and microphones also. I read in a book on Pentecostal worship, “There are some who equate volume as or with anointing.” I completely agree with this statement. Sorry, a loud P.A. system is NOT always anointing!

Mervi

3 comments:

Karen J. Hopper said...

Huh? What did you say? lol Isn't it amazing when the volume went up, the tender touch and moving of the Lord went down. I miss those services where you left refreshed because tears had washed all imperfections away. (Up on the soapbox-I'm for turning up the anointing, and turning down everything else to a moderate level).

Catherine Roseberry-Meyer said...

Amen, amen!!!
Nothing wrong with the "newfangled" stuff -
it has it's place .But what happens without it? It is the deep move of the Spirit, "still small voice" that anchor and causes us to fall in love with Jesus - not the pumping or so called "entertaining" worship.

Just a thought said...

Thank you both for your kind and thoughtful comments:-))

Mervi