Thursday, August 14, 2008

"Life is like a mountain rail road"

“Life is like a mountain Rail Road, spanning rivers deep and wide . . . . help us make the run successful from the cradle to the grave.”

Sorry, but this is all I can remember of the old Gospel song. The song may be old but the words and meanings are so very true today. This thing we call life is so very unpredictable, you can never really know what is coming at you next or from where it came.

About seventy miles from where I live, my deceased wife’s mother is coming into the evening station. She has lived a wonderful life, endured the death of her daughter then the death of her husband. I chose to use the word ENDURED because many times there are things in life that all you can do is endure them. Having had in my option, during this short span of time, during which I am living. There has come into my life, my share of ordeals which I just endured. There are times and situations that come into or from this thing call life that the best way, maybe not the only way, but the best at that moment is just to endure, then go forward.

As I close my thought today. Many years ago in a Youth Conference the speaker’s wife was asked to speak one afternoon. I shall never forget her text and thought. As Jesus was being crucified they offered Him vinegar and mingled with gall (Matt. 27: 34) when he tasted it He refused it. This mixture was a common form of numbing agent to be of some help with the pain and death of crucifixion. Jesus refused it because He, Jesus, wanted to feel the sharp edge of life as it left Him.

So in many times and places I just do the best I am able to ENDURE, to bear up under, to tolerate and to carry on until I reach the depot at the top of this mountain.

Mervi

1 comment:

Karen J. Hopper said...

Life is like a mountain railroad, with an engineer that’s brave;
We must make the run successful, from the cradle to the grave;
Watch the curves, the fills, the tunnels; never falter, never quail;
Keep your hand upon the throttle, and your eye upon the rail.

You will roll up grades of trial; you will cross the bridge of strife; See that Christ is your Conductor on this lightning train of life;Always mindful of obstruction, do your duty, never fail; Keep your hand upon the throttle, and your eye upon the rail.

You will often find obstructions; look for storms of wind and rain;
On a fill, or curve, or trestle, they will almost ditch your train;
Put your trust alone in Jesus; never falter, never fail; Keep your hand upon the throttle, and your eye upon the rail.

As you roll across the trestle, spanning Jordan’s swelling tide,
You behold the Union Depot into which your train will glide; There you’ll meet the Superintendent, God the Father, God the Son, With the hearty, joyous, plaudit, “Weary pilgrim, welcome home!”

Bless'd Savior, Thou wilt guide us,
Till we reach that blissful shore;
Where the angels wait to join us
In Thy praise forevermore.

Mervi, I will be singing this song all day long (that is, if I can remember the words, and I doubt that but I can, but I'll do a lot of humming. lol)