Friday, August 15, 2008

Problem Or Issue (???)

Give me just a few moments to check my tie and glasses. OK, now I shall ascend to the top of my “soap box” this morning. OK! My footing is set on I shall begin.

I, personal, and my wife had a conversation this morning as we were dressing. Is there or are we the witness to an effort to bring more sterilization of our language? We, my wife and I, are a little older couple had some questions about a term that has and is still becoming a replacement another term, within the English language. The term that is being replaced is almost never heard any more. Why? What is wrong with the term?

You’ve got a problem! You have an issue!

He is a drunkard! He is a social drinker!

They are committing adultery! They are having an affair!

The following definitions are retrieved from <"http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary">http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary<.

ISSUES
6 a: a matter that is in dispute between two or more parties b (1): a vital or unsettled matter (2): concern, problem c: the point at which an unsettled matter is ready for a decision

PROBLEM
2 a: an intricate unsettled question b: a source of perplexity, distress, or vexation c: difficulty in understanding or accepting

So when we say, I have a problem, we say, I have a, “source of perplexity, distress, or vexation.” Should we choose to use the word issue, do we mean, a dispute, an unsettled matter? I find that the best for, me personally, I have a source of distress or vexation in me. Are we trying to make ourselves as well as others around us sound a little better that we are? Or do we try to make it sound so much better and kinder to me when I say, “I have an issue.” Come on now lets be a little more honest with ourselves? I have nothing against being kind to me, but what has happened to being a little more honest with self? Is there an effort afoot to try for me to make me not sound quite as bad as I am?

As my wife and I talked this morning part of my mind kept asking, “Mervi is this just an age thing. Am I really starting to show my age? Dose the questioning of these new terms or re-fabricated terms show my age?” Yes, going through or enduring higher level education does press for these new terms and yes I do use them. However, I am starting to revert.
A drunk is still a drunk.

Adultery is still adultery.

A problem is still a problem.

I have stepped down from my soap box.

Mervi

2 comments:

Karen J. Hopper said...

We live in a society that paints everything "gray" - black and white (ie, right or wrong) no longer exists. If it means I'm old because of my thinking. so be it. I'll stand by God's laws and His Word - and He's never spoken in shades of "gray".

Catherine Roseberry-Meyer said...

White is white and black is black!!! The Word of God is for ever established. Am I old? Nonsense! My car is packed with young people - I'm "cool" they say. But wait! There's nothing "gray" about me ('xcept my hair LOL).