Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Where have the old songs gone?

I would like to lift the words form an older song by the late Dottie Rambo, one she penned a long time back, “The good old days have come and gone.” In several blogs there has been mention of songs from here and there, mostly from there, those “Good old days.” STOP no I do not want to go back to cars without an A.C., vinyl on the furniture, and getting ice from an aluminum tray or swamp coolers in our homes. There are many of these, “new fangled things,” which I do like. I do remember being in church in Bakersfield in August with one, yes just one BIG swamp cooler. All Bro. Terry had to do when he preached on hell was turn the cooler off!!

OH I want to see Him Look upon His face, Coming down, down, down the glory of the Lord is coming down, Peace, peace wonderful peace coming down from our Father above, When the redeemed are gathered in and on I go. “The good old days have come and gone,” when it left did it take the songs with it?? I as a delegation of one do miss many of those older songs. PLEASE do not hear me wrong. Many of the newer songs are wonderful, but what I and some others, have been labeled as Pentecostal calisthenics, don’t always seem to fit, agree, be in agreement with the visitation of the spirit!

Once more, just as me, some years back my oldest son, who can sing. Not my words but from those who listen to him have said. He called me one afternoon, “Dad I am having a hard time getting the people to worship when I sing?” Son, what are you singing, oh dad its some of the newer songs, son, forget them. The next time you sing, sing Amazing Grace. I don’t care if they are running around the ceiling fans or praying. He did call me back and his only comment was,” dad got the lesson.” The lesson is, in my never to be humble personal opinion, stick with a good balance of a few of those older songs.

Thank you for your time;

Mervi

3 comments:

DeadMule said...

If, by newer songs, you mean what's played on Christian radio, I agree. They are clearly Christian Lite.

Karen J. Hopper said...

Unfortunately, time has erased many of the old songs from many song leaders' (or music directors') memories. The cry nowadays is for songs where you can jump, shout, etc. - even when you don't understand the words. No more the weeping, conviction-filled songs where every word is heard and your soul aches to draw closer to Him. Call me old fashion - I'll wear that label proudly. PS: However, there are some new songs I love too but the "hug the tree" kind, not at all.

Catherine Roseberry-Meyer said...

I hear you!!!